Mur's World of Disney

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Some comments on recent Disney news

There are a couple of topics I've seen on multiple Disney boards/sites that I wanted to comment on.

First, Kudos to the Disneyland (CA) visitor who was named the 2 billionth park visitor yesterday! All I have to say is, I envy you that Golden Ticket! Lifetime admission to all 11 Disney parks worldwide... That's 4 Disneylands, Tokoyo DisneySea, the Magic Kingdom, 2 Disney Studios, California Adventure, Epcot and Animal Kingdom - Wow!

I have to admit - my first order of business would probably be a whirlwind tour of all of the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom parks as a matter of comparison. Well, assuming I had the time and money, of course - for the most part, ticket costs are really secondary to other expenses. But still - awsome!

And the second thing - testing of a non-spinning Mission: Space. Now, I'm not opposed to this trial, and not *really* opposed to running a non-spinning bay when there's enough interest for it. However, I hope the people riding this tamed-down version realize they're not really riding Mission: Space. It's kind of like running a Soarin' theater without raising the rows of seats - you get the basic idea, but the pure genius of the Imagineers doesn't come through.

I really liked one of the suggestions on a thread on rec.arts.disney.parks - use CyberSpace Mountain-like capsules to simulate the ride without taking up a centrifuge bay. I imagine that sort of a setup somewhere in the Mission: Space building would actually make lines for both types or fides shorter in the long run.

1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Mur said...

Okay, so I'm replying to my own blog. Sue me.

Anyway, I really wanted to comment on the non-spinning Mission:Space thing. I've thought about it some more, and I think I've decided it's a good thing.

While I'd prefer to see it as a separate side attraction that wouldn't have an impact on the operation of the main attraction, I can see the benefit to those who know they cannot or should not ride the full-fledged version. I'm sure they know it's just not the same, but at the same time, getting to experience even a tone-down version has got to be exciting.

One of the side benefits is that we can see that Disney is not only responsive to what undoubtedly thousands of guests have said regarding the ride, but that they can retool this particular ride *at any time*. This is exciting in the way Tower of Terror is exciting - it shows that perhaps, like TOT, we might see random missions, varying degress of intensity (perhaps with different training missions) and all-around reprogramability in this particular ride system.

And that is a great thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home